Catalina Island Medical Center’s in-patient beds are available for acute care conditions such as:
- Congestive heart failure
- Infections or wound care requiring intravenous antibiotics
- Post-op care after surgery or hospitalization
Swing Bed & Rehabilitation Services
Our friendly staff can get you ready to get back home.
- Transition from hospital care and help you get healthy enough to return home.
- Regain the level of independence you had prior to surgery, injury or illness.
- Recover mobility and getting back to your normal activities.
- Work together with therapists on a pain management plan, and learn to use therapy equipment.
Long-term care is available at CIMC’s skilled nursing facility, which is supported by physicians, nurses, a medical social worker, physical, occupational and speech therapists, a dietitian, and an activities program. Residents in the skilled nursing facility may have a wide range of medical conditions that require on-going, long-term medical care and support.
The Catalina Island Medical Center Social Services Department helps patients navigate the health care system and provides services to patients and their families to help them access care and adjust to various health issues.
- Information and referrals for community members to a wide variety of programs, in Avalon and on the mainland
- Case Management for seniors
- Health Education and Nutritional Counseling for Prenatal Patients
- Information on skilled nursing facility admissions
- Assistance with financial aid applications including Medi-Cal, Food Stamps and Pharmacy Assistance Programs
- Medicare Part D (pharmacy) application assistance
- Appointments for TelePsychiatry program
- Home Care referrals
The medical center’s patient-centered philosophy and commitment to excellence continue whether services are provided in the hospital or the medical group office.
Catalina Island Medical Center’s laboratory department serves patients of all ages in the Emergency Department, Medical Group Office, Inpatient and Outpatient areas. If you have a doctor on the mainland, we do accept laboratory orders from doctors who are not on the island. Timely and accurate results will be sent to the referring doctor.
- staffed 24/7 by a Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) professional
- collects, processes and analyzes the biological specimens
- processes 80% of laboratory specimens in-house, which resulted in faster turn-around
When questions arise about the reason for tests, possible cost of services or the alternatives to any particular laboratory analysis, CIMC recommends patients phone their primary care physician.
Catalina Island Medical Center’s Diagnostic Imaging Department provides a range of technologies to fulfill the imaging needs of the Catalina Island patient population.
CT scans, ultrasounds and x-rays are digital and are stored in a Picture Archiving and Communication System. They are analyzed by a mainland radiologist utilizing CIMC’s tele-radiography capabilities.
The department serves patients in the emergency room, hospital and medical group office as well as satisfying imaging orders from partner physicians on the mainland.
Catalina Island Medical Center’s radiology department recently installed a state-of-the-art radiology camera from Toshiba that improves patients’ experiences as well as the diagnostic capabilities of CIMC’s medical providers. Approximately 1,250 x-ray images are taken every year on the island. Those images are used to diagnose everything from broken bones to pneumonia.
Radiology studies can be distributed to patients and providers via computer disc.
Catalina Island diagnostic imaging capabilities include:
- CT Scanner
- Digital x-ray
- Dexa Scan
- PACS technology
- Studies available on CD